Panino – Mozzarella Cheese Wrapped with Prosciutto, Salami and Pepperoni with Creamy Datil Pepper Dipping Sauce.
Easy appetizers are just minutes away. Mozzarella cheese sticks wrapped with thinly sliced prosciutto, salami and pepperoni is super fast and amazingly delicious. Served with a creamy but spicy, datil pepper dipping sauce, they are sure to be a hit at your next party. You can use just about any lunch meat you choose: smoked ham, turkey breast, roast beef, or whatever you have in the refrigerator. These are perfect for when you need something extremely quick and easy. And now that it’s gotten hot in Florida, cranking up the oven is not always high on my list of priorities. These babies will keep for several days if kept tightly wrapped and in the refrigerator. By themselves or as part of an antipasto tray with olives, marinated artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes, and other cheeses, they are quick and easy to make and fun to eat.
The dipping sauce is also quick and easy to prepare. Just mix 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt with 1 teaspoon Old St Augustine Gourmet Datil Garlic Blend, 1/2 teaspoon Old St Augustine Gourmet Datil Pepper Hot Sauce – choose from Snake Bite, Venom or BRAND NEW Stinging Lizard depending on the heat level you want. Add in 1 teaspoon spicy mustard or horseradish, again, your choice. You can even add a few drops of lemon or lime juice for a little extra tang. I had limes on hand, so that’s what I used here. A few chopped fresh basil leaves to give it an Italian twist, and you have perfection in a bowl. You can make this first if you prefer it chilled, but it’s wonderful served immediately after you whip it together. Any left over sauce can be used with hot wings, as a spicy salad dressing, as a topping for baked potatoes, or brushed on grilled corn on the cob.
Want something even easier? Just add 1/2 teaspoon Old St Augustine Gourmet Datil Garlic Blend to extra virgin olive oil for a true Italian dipping sauce. Be sure to serve some crusty Italian bread on the side to dip as well.
As a special side note, the wonderful tray pictured here was a Mother’s Day gift from my son Hunter and his beautiful girlfriend Lana. What’s cool about the tray is that you can change out the little figures. Hunter and Lana gave me a perky palm tree and a gorgeous little nautilus shell. They know how much I love the beach and these are perfect for entertaining all summer long. I took pictures with both of them to show you just how adorable this serving piece really is. And what’s cool is that there are more figurines for every holiday and occasion. Gonna’ have to get my hands on some more of them so I can change them out to match my party theme. Thanks Hunter and Lana, for such a thoughtful gift!
Panino – Mozzarella Cheese Wrapped with Prosciutto, Salami and Pepperoni with Creamy Datil Pepper Dipping Sauce
Prep time: 10 minutes
Serves: 9 (2 wrapped mozzarella cheese sticks)
- 9 Mozzarella Cheese sticks, cut in half
- 18 thinly sliced pieces of meat – prosciutto, salami, pepperoni or other meat of choice.
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream or Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon Old St Augustine Gourmet Datil Pepper Hot Sauce – choose from Snake Bite, Venom or BRAND NEW Stinging Lizard depending on the heat level you want
- 1 teaspoon Old St Augustine Gourmet Datil Garlic Seasoning Blend
- 1 teaspoon spicy mustard or horseradish
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
- 2 fresh basil leaves, minced
- Cut mozzarella sticks in half. Wrap with one thin slice of meat and place on tray with seam side down.
- In small bowl, mix together the sour cream or yogurt, Snake Bite, Venom or Stinging Lizard Hot Sauce, Old St Augustine Gourmet Datil Garlic Seasoning Blend, spicy mustard or horseradish, lemon or lime juice and basil leaves.
- Serve panino with dipping sauce.
- Panino and dipping sauce may both be kept refrigerated for 2-3 days if kept tightly covered with plastic wrap in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts For Panino:
- 1 Prosciutto Wrapped Mozzarella Cheese Stick: approximately 125 calories, 10 grams fat, 1 gram carbohydrates, 9 grams protein.
- 1 Salami Wrapped Mozzarella Cheese Stick: approximately 130 calories, 8.4 grams fat, 1.4 grams carbohydrates, 9.2 grams protein.
- 1 Pepperoni Wrapped Mozzarella Cheese Stick: 150 calories, 13 grams fat, 1 gram carbohydrates, 9 grams protein
Nutrition Facts For Dipping Sauce:
1 teaspoon of sauce contains approximately 9 calories, 0.7 grams fat, 0.4 grams carbohydrates, 0.3 grams protein
Disclaimer: These numbers are approximate, and were calculated using ingredients from my own kitchen. Your recipe may be different depending on the brands and products used. There are numerous programs available to calculate nutrition information. Please read labels carefully to determine the exact nutritional values based on the products you use.